Zeal Youth Worker (Street-based)
We are a leading New Zealand youth organisation full of passionate, creative misfits who dedicate our lives to helping young people discover, express, and develop their unique creativity.
As part of this process we run an out-of-centre street youth work project in both Nawton and Hamilton’s CBD. The initiative aims to improve the personal safety, engagement, and social capital of Hamilton’s young people who frequent community “hot spots”.
This project seeks to provide:
- An informed and trained team of youth workers equipped to proactively engage with vulnerable young people on the streets on Friday or Saturday nights.
- An increase in pro-social behaviour of youth on the streets through increased safety and a sense of belonging.
- A significantly increased knowledge and awareness of youth service providers to Hamilton youth through referrals and relationship-building.
- A relational link to Zeal’s in-centre resources, activities, and outcomes.
In this role, you’ll be involved with one or both of our Street Youth Work teams, engaging with young people in their spaces and places, and helping develop and run engagement opportunities that facilitate connection.
- Aid in building effective activities and opportunities for youth engagement on the street.
- Be consistently present with the team and in training/induction processes.
- Be all about the young people in their space - provide meaningful interactions with young people in order to establish and build ongoing supportive relationships
- Support youth workers with data collection and debriefs
Skills & Experience:
- You know your stuff. You've got relevant experience or passions that will translate well to a youth work environment.
- You are an effective communicator and relationship builder
- You exude the right qualities. Confidence, approachability and maturity are just some of the things that make a youth worker successful.
- You’re committed to the cause. Street Youth Work is a commitment to the well-being of Hamilton’s young people. Consistency and reliability are important qualities in our supportive team environment.
Applicants must complete an appropriate background check, training, and our Health & Safety process.
A Police background check is required for this role.
This is a volunteer role which requires availability on Wednesday or Thursday afternoons from 2:30-6pm, or potentially Saturday evenings.
The first step is to express your interest by filling out the form below.
We will then put you in touch directly with the organisation for more information on the role and how to proceed.
Apply for this role: